It’s not something a lot of women talk about, but the truth is that men are not the only ones that have to worry about thinning hair. The reasons you may be losing your hair vary, it could be as simple as the food you’re eating or as complex as the stress in your everyday life, but knowledge is power so familiarize yourself with the reasons why women may be losing hair so you can do something about it.
Women have a lot of stress in their everyday lives. From work to family commitments to physical changes, stress can impact the way your body operates. Hair growth happens in three stages: growth, rest and shedding. When you are stressed your hair actually goes to the shedding phase more quickly. This can cause more hair to fall out than is growing and can lead to hair loss. Emotional stress is different from physical stress, but can have an impact on your hair or make an existing problem worse. Make sure if you’re going through situations that are likely to cause emotional stress, like the death of a loved one or divorce, you treat it.
Speaking of physical changes, pregnancy is a big one! At any one time, about 90% of your hair is growing and the other 10% is in the resting phase. Every two to three months the resting hair falls out to allow room for more hair to grow in its place. During pregnancy, an increased number of hairs go into the resting phase and you may notice the shedding of more hair at once. Do not fear! This is totally normal and usually does not cause baldness, but if you feel that the hair loss you experience is unusual, as your doctor. You could have a vitamin or mineral deficiency.
Birth control pills can lead to hormone fluctuations, which can then lead to hair loss. It’s not typical, but if you do experience hair loss when trying out a new pill, consult with your doctor to see if you can be switched to a pill that won’t cause it.
Vitamins and minerals are normally good for your hair, but sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad. This is the case of vitamin A, which is found in liver, eggs, milk, cream and fish oil. Too much vitamin A in your diet can cause hair loss. The opposite is true of protein. If you are experiencing hair loss, you may also not be getting enough protein in your diet, causing your body to use the energy it has for other important functions and not hair growth. So if you are experiencing issues it would do some good to take a look at what you’re eating and how much.
Anemia is a condition where your body does not have enough iron. Symptoms can include fatigue, dizziness, headaches, cold hands and feet and also hair loss. Your doctor can easily check to see if you are anemic and treat it with a supplement.
Heredity can also lead to baldness, not only in men but women as well. If you suffer from a condition called androgenic alopecia, you may notice thinning and your part in your hair widening. No worries, though, if you have this condition. Medicine has several options to treat female hereditary baldness.
Illness can also cause hair loss. Hypothyroidism is an underactive thyroid gland, which can have an impact on your metabolism, cause obesity, joint pain, heart disease and also hair loss. If you think you may have this condition, your doctor can test for it easily and treat it. Lupus is an autoimmune disease where your immune system goes into overdrive and begins to attack your own body. Hair can be a casualty in the lupus war and can cause scarring in your hair follicle which won’t allow for hair to grow back. Unfortunately, hair loss from lupus cannot be treated, but working with your stylist can help to optimize the hair you do have and cover any thinning spots.
The bottom line is that there are a lot of things that can cause hair loss, and while you’re trying to figure it out there are many things you can do every day to help keep your hair follicles and scalp healthy. Use hair products like sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner and try combing your hair instead of brushing it, as brushing tends to pull out more strands. Let your hair air dry as much as possible and giving yourself a scalp massage (or, even better, getting someone else to do it for you) can help encourage circulation. All of these things can help you to avoid losing hair.
This blog brought to you by Jell Salon & Lounge!